The Frager Sutton Haupt Law Firm, PLLC
Memphis, TN Office
Phone: 901-763-3188
Nashville, TN Office
Phone: 615-366-1000

Main Menu
Para Español

Legal Services

Office Hours
Monday thru Friday 9AM - 5PM

After Hours and Weekends
Emergency Hotline 901-763-3180

University Students Visas

Foreigners visiting the United States for tourist purposes may take a short study course if it is less than 18 hours a week. For foreigners coming to the United States to study over a more extended time period, the two most common student visas are F-1 and M visas.

F-1 Visas

Academic institutions and language training programs such as high school foreign exchange programs or undergraduate and graduate studies at universities require F-1 visas for study. F-1 visas are not allowed for elementary school educational programs. During study, students do not have employment authorization beyond on-campus work for more than 20 hours a week.

F-1 visa students are usually admitted for the duration of their student status. They are able to remain in the United States as long as they are full-time students, even if their F-1 visa passport expires while here.

As families can accompany a student, F-2 visas may be issued to the student's spouse and children. Under an F-2 visa, the spouse may not work or study. However, the children may attend school up through the 12th grade.

M-1 Visas

M-1 visas are provided to foreign students for vocational, technical, and non-academic programs. M-1 visa students are able to remain in the United States for either one year or for the duration of their full-time enrollment in a vocational program plus 30 days to prepare to leave the country, whichever is shorter.

Arrange a consultation with the Frager Law Firm

Our attorneys help numerous people obtain student visas and provide counsel for immigration issues. We are happy to answer your questions and see how we can be of service.

Home     Legal Staff     In the Media     Resource Links     FAQs     Get Directions     Contact Us

Memphis Office: 901-763-3188     Nashville Office: 615-366-1000

The Frager Law Firm is located in Memphis, TN and serves clients through out Tennessee and the United States. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented in this website should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Get a Free Custom Website